Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
February 28, 2008 14:21
Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range
Message ID:
47C72D59.5060005@NevCal.com
On approximately 2/28/2008 1:12 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Nicholas Clark:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:34:12PM +0100, Tels wrote:

>> In any event, I don't see why "use utf-8" shouldn't die when the source
>> contains non-utf-8. After all, you just told Perl it does ;)
>
> I would have liked it if it did. But it already seems that we have it the
> wrong way, and I'd prefer to deprecate the wrongness, than change it again.
>
> Nicholas Clark

I think Tels made a typo... but what he said "use utf-8;" currently
produces "Can't locate utf.pm...."  Of course, I doubt he meant to pass
negative 8 as a parameter to the utf.pm module...

But maybe, with UTF-8 and UTF-16 both existing, a well-written 'use utf"
module with parameters of -8 and -16 wouldn't be the worst idea in the
world!  Of course, UTF-16 must be detected via BOM, heuristics, or
environment, as it isn't compatible with UTF-8 or ASCII.

Anyway, "use utf-8" currently doesn't mean anything, so it could be made
mean "die if source doesn't contain UTF-8 encoded number sequences".

There is also the issue of if codepoints not defined by Unicode, but
properly encoded in the UTF-8 encoding scheme should be accepted (as
they are now).  I think they should be, to allow easier handling of
future codepoints, although operators that understand and apply Unicode
semantics will only apply the semantics they understand from the version
of the standard that they understand.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/