Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
February 27, 2008 04:00
Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range
Message ID:
47C550BB.70409@NevCal.com
On approximately 2/27/2008 2:39 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Aaron Crane:
> Glenn Linderman writes:
>> I think \x{} should be Unicode only, \xXX should be source encoding
>> only
>
> That strikes me as very hard to teach.  And even for people with a
> good understanding of the differences between character sets and
> encodings, it strikes me as a very hard to distinction to draw while
> reading code -- a huge amount of meaning is ascribed to the presence
> or absence of a pair of curlies.

So is the current practice used by "use encoding;".  But my current
email in response to Yves says:

Perhaps the others encodings should simply outlaw \x{} and \N... if the
systems they run on don't support Unicode, then the characters won't be
useful to them anyway, and if it does, they should use Unicode.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/