Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range

From:
Tels
Date:
February 26, 2008 09:38
Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range
Message ID:
200802261833.17266@bloodgate.com
On Tuesday 26 February 2008 04:21:01 Juerd Waalboer wrote:
> Jarkko Hietaniemi skribis 2008-02-25 20:02 (-0500):
[snip]
> Your opinion and my opinion are now known. I wonder if anyone else
> has something to add.
>

> P.S. A Google Code search for "use\s+encoding lang:perl" returns only
> 300 hits, most of which are Perl/Encode documentation/tests. Most of
> the other hits have "use encoding 'utf-8';".

I have the strong believe that not everything has to be made work and be
supported, just because someone might be using it.

If "use utf8;" works just fine, why spent time supporting another
encoding of the source?

In IT, we re-invent the wheel way too many times, and in many cases just
to have it in a different color - but slightly broken, tho, because the
newly-colored wheel isn't as round as the old one due to technical
limitations that the user really doesn't even understand or wants to
know.

The end effect is that you either have a dozend different wheels, none
working 100%, or one working 100%, but it isn't used because it is "the
wrong color".

Very frustrating this.

Tels

--
 Signed on Tue Feb 26 18:29:49 2008 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train
 stops. On my desk I have a work station."

  -- Unknown