Re: [gowthamgowtham@gmail.com: Perl on Symbian OS?]

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 22, 2008 10:57
Re: [gowthamgowtham@gmail.com: Perl on Symbian OS?]
Message ID:
20080222185658.GF38653@plum.flirble.org
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:51:52PM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> I did the "older ports".  I'm not aware of attempts at compiling Perl in
> more recent Symbian OS releases.  I suggest the interested parties just
> try it.  I no more have the resources to keep the port going.

From what I remember from feedback to this list at one time, the Symbian
Port builds extentions with the C compiler symbol "PERL_CORE" defined.
I'd argue that it shouldn't do this (nothing else does, and I don't know
what would need to change to make it work this way, but I would be in favour
of making those changes)

I mention it specifically because if "interested parties" get the current
source ( rsync://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ ) I suspect that
the build will now fail somewhere in ext/ for this reason.

> the POSIX/UNIX support has become better.  On the third hand, if the

I believe that this is usually referred to as "The gripping hand"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripping_hand

(and that even Larry has used the term without reference)

Nicholas Clark