Re: [gowthamgowtham@gmail.com: Perl on Symbian OS?]

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
February 22, 2008 10:52
Re: [gowthamgowtham@gmail.com: Perl on Symbian OS?]
Message ID:
47BF19C8.60800@iki.fi
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:46:23 +0530
> From: "Gowtham M" <gowthamgowtham@gmail.com>
> To: perl5-porters@perl.org
> Subject: Perl on Symbian OS?
>
> Hello, perl has already been ported on older Symbian OS versions 8. But, of
> late, looks like not many updates were made. Does anybody know if Perl has
> been ported on newer versions of Symbian OS (> 9.1)?

I did the "older ports".  I'm not aware of attempts at compiling Perl in
more recent Symbian OS releases.  I suggest the interested parties just
try it.  I no more have the resources to keep the port going.

I would expect some problems, though, given how the more recent
releases of S60 hardened the platform (for example, I don't know
whether it's any more possible for an unauthorised application to
open TCP/IP connections).  On the other hand, one can always hope that
the POSIX/UNIX support has become better.  On the third hand, if the
S60/S80 build environment has significantly changed, the existing Perl
build will no more work.