Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range

From:
Tels
Date:
February 21, 2008 02:34
Re: use encoding 'utf8' bug for Latin-1 range
Message ID:
200802211133.11110@bloodgate.com
On Thursday 21 February 2008 03:50:46 Juerd Waalboer wrote:
> Jarkko Hietaniemi skribis 2008-02-20 21:23 (-0500):
> > use encoding 'utf8';
> > my $x = "\x{ff}";
[snip]
> Given that it's not the only flaw in encoding.pm, and that the world
> is rapidly converging on the idea of using UTF-8 as the de facto
> standard, I think it would be unwise to waste tuits on fixing the
> issues. Deprecation sounds like a better idea to me; we already have
> a good way to use non-latin1: "use utf8;", and I don't think it's
> necessary to have another.

Just for the record, I agree with your points. There isn't much point in
allowing source being written in non-latin1, or non-utf8, given that
utf8 encompasses everything possible. And any decent editor should be
able to work with it.

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu Feb 21 11:32:01 2008 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of program
 documentation."

  -- Frederick Brooks, 'The Mythical Man Month'