Re: Partial fix for change 33291 to get VMS building again.

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
February 19, 2008 17:55
Re: Partial fix for change 33291 to get VMS building again.
Message ID:
47BB888F.7030208@qsl.net
Craig A. Berry wrote:
> At 5:42 PM -0600 2/18/08, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>> proto.h needs to expose some macros on VMS that it does not after change 33291.
>>
>> I could not figure out how to generate a proto.h that looks like
>> the  one produced by the attached patch.
>
> Let me take a stab at getting embed.fnc or whatever to work. We'll
> hold off on applying your patch for now, but yes, something needs to be
> done to get things buildable again.

It appears that you are the only one to get my original e-mail.  I just
resent it.

For some reason, it has not shown up on the vmsperl list which I am
subscribed to, nor has it shown up on the perl5-porter list, which
previously my posts have been showing up on.

My posts are showing up on the changes list though, so I do not know
what the issue is.

>> When I changed proto.h to expose those macros, it also exposed some
>> function prototypes that were different than in the VMS specific code.
>
> At first blush I don't understand the rationale for all of the
> do_spawn changes, but we'll sort that out.

In vms.c, it is removing the casts which are not needed when using the
same prototypes as the win32 variant.

The only reason that I can see to have the different prototypes is if
the compiler for that platform does not support them.  In this case all
versions of DECC should support those prototypes.

It appears that win32 has a variant of do_spawn that does not wait for
completion.  I am short of cycles to see what the impact of that being
missing on VMS is right now.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only