Re: Assistance with IPC modules and perl 5.10

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
February 19, 2008 06:59
Re: Assistance with IPC modules and perl 5.10
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.0.9999.0802190857590.7485@urth.org
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 21:27 +0100, demerphq wrote:
>
>> If i understand this right your problem is solved.
>>
>> IPC-ShareLite is not a build requires for Cache-Cache:
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/src/DCLINTON/Cache-Cache-1.05/META.yml
>
>> They are both optional packages. So the chain is broken right?
>
> No, not really, because we want to enable the SharedMemoryCache
> functionality of Cache-Cache. META.yml represents the bare minimum set
> of requirements, not the requirements to make the code fully functional.

No, you really _don't_ need to enable the SharedMemoryCache. The reason
that these modules (IPC::ShareLite && SharedCache) have been broken for so
long is that no one wants to use them, primarily because people have
realized that they're a slow and problematic solution for the problem at
hand.

If you want a shared cache the best bets are a file-based cache or for
more robust multi-machine solution, memcached. No sane person is using IPC
for caching these days.

-dave