Assistance with IPC modules and perl 5.10

From:
Tom Callaway
Date:
February 15, 2008 15:46
Subject:
Assistance with IPC modules and perl 5.10
Message ID:
1203119049.10036.50.camel@localhost.localdomain
Hi perl5 porters! Fedora is in the process of trying to migrate to perl
5.10.0 for the next release, but we're hitting some disconcerting
failures with the test suites for IPC::ShareLite and IPC::SharedCache.
These failures lead me to believe that these modules probably won't work
properly in a 5.10.0 environment. Specifically, I've been testing
locally on x86_64, and seeing test case failures.

Any and all patches to resolve these failures would be very helpful, as
we're quickly running out of time in the Fedora 9 cycle to make large
feature changes.

You can see the build log (and test failures) for IPC::ShareLite here:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=424041&name=build.log

(note that IPC::ShareLite is patched with
http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=17663, normally it just
segfaults during the tests instead of failing)

Also, the build log and test failures for IPC::SharedCache are here:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=424236&name=build.log

As a secondary issue, both of these modules seem to be unmaintained for
several years. Given how pivotal they are in the perl dependency chain,
it seems that it would be a good idea for someone to maintain them
properly, or to rewrite these items entirely.

Thanks in advance,

~spot