ext/Time/Piece/Piece.xs use of strptime

From:
Green, Paul
Date:
February 12, 2008 11:58
Subject:
ext/Time/Piece/Piece.xs use of strptime
Message ID:
F5F42E77A43DD944B6D664B00A5401CB03714A23@EXNA.corp.stratus.com
The strptime source code in Piece.xs looks **very much** like the
strptime code found in FreeBSD, which is copyrighted.

There are no copyrights on the code presently in Piece.xs.

I was not reading p5p when Piece.xs got added to bleadperl, so I may
have missed the explanation of the heritage of the strptime code in
Piece.xs.  I hope no one just took their code and deleted the copyright.
Or perhaps this code and the FreeBSD code have a common ancestor which
was not copyrighted, unlikely as that may be.

Here is the URL for the current version of the FreeBSD code, so you can
compare structure and variable names for yourself and form your own
opinion.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/lib/libc/stdtime/st
rptime.c?rev=1.35;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=MAIN

I think this issue is worthy of discussion. I hope someone can shed some
light on this.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Mobile: +1 (978) 235-2451;