Stratus VOS bleadperl build issues

From:
Green, Paul
Date:
February 12, 2008 11:58
Subject:
Stratus VOS bleadperl build issues
Message ID:
F5F42E77A43DD944B6D664B00A5401CB03714A22@EXNA.corp.stratus.com
I updated my copy of perl-current to contain the results of change
#33259 (the recent patches for VOS) and I am hitting two problems.

1. Our VOS operating system restricts file, directory, or link names to
32 bytes or less, and further restricts the first byte not to be a
hyphen. These restrictions prevent the following bleadperl files from

lib/CPANPLUS/Dist/Build/t/01_CPANPLUS-Dist-Build-Constants.t  (34 bytes)
lib/CPANPLUS/t/06_CPANPLUS-Internals-Constants.t  (33 bytes)
lib/CPANPLUS/t/30_CPANPLUS-Internals-Selfupdate.t  (34 bytes)
lib/CPANPLUS/t/dummy-CPAN/authors/id/EUNOXS/Bundle-Foo-Bar-0.01.tar.gz.p
acked  (33 bytes)
t/Module_Pluggable/lib/OddTest/Plugin/-Dodgy.pm  (Starts with hyphen)

In about 6-8 months, we'll have a release of VOS for our customers that
can handle names longer than 32 bytes (up to 255, in fact).  But this
won't help customers until they upgrade, and that could be years for
some of them (they don't upgrade very often).

Is there any chance that you can shorten the long names and rename
"-Dodgy.pm" to something less cute?

2. We don't have strptime.

I see that there is code in ext/Time/Piece/Piece.xs to deal with the
lack of strptime.  I'll submit a patch to use this code on VOS as well.

By the way, Piece.xs references a macro named _THREAD_SAFE.  Does either
Windows or QNX define it? (See Piece.xs and perl.h).  POSIX-2001 doesn't
define that symbol. Configure doesn't know about it. I can only assume
it is coming from the operating system, or that this is junk code left
over from the porting base (see also my next piece of email).

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Mobile: +1 (978) 235-2451;