Re: This Week on perl5-porters - 20-26 January 2008

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
January 31, 2008 20:58
Re: This Week on perl5-porters - 20-26 January 2008
Message ID:
47A2A6D1.7090906@pobox.com
Jonathan Rockway wrote:
>> Somewhat less critical right now, but also affected by time_t
>> limitations are stat() and utime().
>
> Is this possible to fix without underlying OS (filesystem) support?

 From what I've gathered there's three critical OS elements:
* What time is it?  ie.  Accessing the hardware clock.
* What time zone am I in and what's the offset? (for localtime)
* How should I display the time (for scalar localtime and gmtime with locales)

Getting the current time isn't nearly so important, because that won't
actually be an issue until 2038 at which point you have a much bigger problem
than Perl to worry about if your system libraries aren't Y2038.

Getting the time zone and offset... I'm not sure how that's possible,
portably, without using localtime().  Seems like it should be.

Displaying the time, taking locale information into effect, is also an issue.
  How do you do that without using the system localtime?

--
184. When operating a military vehicle I may *not* attempt something
      “I saw in a cartoon”.