Re: For 5.12: tail calls for methods

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
January 18, 2008 07:51
Re: For 5.12: tail calls for methods
Message ID:
20080118155124.GQ31127@klangraum
* Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> [2008-01-18 16:30]:
> Also, I'm not certain if it is "correct" to do this
> automatically, given:

Which is precisely what I meant by “rat hole.” In a language as
late-bound as Perl, it’s hard to imagine how to do *any* kind of
recursion detection, and even more so how to do any sort of
static analysis to avoid performance hit on *every* call.

Statically detecting tail calls in general, though, is easy, and
providing syntax so the user can explicitly request a tail call
is even easier.

Regards,