Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Abigail
Date:
January 9, 2008 17:06
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
20080110010645.GE15227@abigail.be
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:14:43PM +0000, ??var Arnfj??r?? Bjarmason wrote:
> On 1/3/08, Sean O'Rourke <seano@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > Moritz Lenz <moritz@casella.verplant.org> writes:
> > > You can still say
> > > no strict;
> > > after importing 5.10 (or 5.1\d) features. Or you can selectively import
> > > the shiny new 5.1\d features that you want to use.
> >
> > Both of which are a pain.  My claim was that "I want the latest
> > features" implying "I want strictures" seems like the wrong
> > default.
>
> FWIW I agree. Wheher or not people think strict is a good idea shoving
> shiny features and language strictness under the same hat strikes me
> as a bad idea.

Yes.

My view of "use feature ':5.10';" is that it's just a declaration that
the code that follows doesn't require pre-5.10 semantics. That is, it
doesn't have a user defined 'say', it doesn't have a user defined 'state',
and nor does it have a user defined 'given' or 'when'.

It doesn't necessarely mean the code that follows will use a say, state
or a given/when.

I don't expect 'feature' to turn on strict. Not now, and not in 5.12,
5.14 or any other version either.

Abigail