Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
January 9, 2008 11:31
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
47852114.4050108@NevCal.com
On approximately 1/9/2008 10:14 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
> On 1/3/08, Sean O'Rourke <seano@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> Moritz Lenz <moritz@casella.verplant.org> writes:
>>> You can still say
>>> no strict;
>>> after importing 5.10 (or 5.1\d) features. Or you can selectively import
>>> the shiny new 5.1\d features that you want to use.
>> Both of which are a pain.  My claim was that "I want the latest
>> features" implying "I want strictures" seems like the wrong
>> default.
>
> FWIW I agree. Wheher or not people think strict is a good idea shoving
> shiny features and language strictness under the same hat strikes me
> as a bad idea.

It strikes me as a good idea, if there is ever a goal to deprecate and
eventually eliminate some of the behaviours currently permitted under
"no strict;" but not permitted with "use strict;".  While Perl 6 is the
"break all compatibility" development path, and Perl 5 would need to
move very slowly regarding compatibility to avoid invalidating large
portions of CPAN and hidden user code, with proper deprecation cycles,
it shouldn't be forced to retain compatibility with bad practices forever.

New syntax for some of the features could retain any functional ability
needed by old code, in a cleaner way, per Larry's suggestion regarding
strict refs the other day.  In many cases, there is already an alternate
syntax, but some have not bothered to migrate to it.

People that refuse to migrate can keep their old Perl, of course, so
they are not abandoned.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/