Re: dtrace and Perl (again)

From:
Andy Armstrong
Date:
January 8, 2008 06:28
Re: dtrace and Perl (again)
Message ID:
B61B170E-4851-4593-B5CC-2CAE5B80C7F3@hexten.net
On 8 Jan 2008, at 14:22, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> To find an executable from within Configure, you can use the UU/loc
> utility shell script put there by Configure.  The syntax is

[snip]

Thanks Andy - that's going to be a big help. The "did we get the right
dtrace" problem is a slight concern. We could run it and see what it
does - but what if dtrace is a script that someone's created to delete
a bunch of files (for example). Hmm.

> Also, would you want just a shell variable (probably $dtrace
> containing
> the full path to the dtrace executable) or do you also want a C-level
> #define?

I only need the dtrace executable at build time so just a shell var is
fine, thanks.

> I can probably whip up a skeletal metaconfig unit and simple Configure
> patch that won't interfere with Merijn's current metaconfig merge
> work,
> but I don't have dtrace, so I'd need a lot of help filling in the
> gaps.

Thanks for the offer. I may come back to you on that. Right now I'd
like to do a little more research to see if I can come up with a safe
way of testing that we have the right dtrace.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten