Re: dtrace and Perl (again)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
January 7, 2008 15:42
Re: dtrace and Perl (again)
Message ID:
20080108004236.19264d72@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:35:46 +0000, Andy Armstrong <andy@hexten.net> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2008, at 23:30, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > Good point.
> >
> > Default to on if -Dusedevel is present and dtrace is found, and off
> > otherwise?
>
> Yup, that sounds reasonable. Although I don't actually know what the
> nominal effect of usedevel is :)
>
> >> That's the other thing that attracted me to an explicit switch. Isn't
> >> asking for dtrace support and having the build fail because it's not
> >> available better than hoping for dtrace support and having it omitted
> >> because we couldn't find the executable?
> >
> > Is it viable to probe for a working dtrace? Do we know what is
> > sufficient
> > to make a test case that the broken ones reliably choke on?
>
> Not yet. That's pretty much my next move.
>
> > [Clearly get it in manually first, then worry about this. Plus
> > Merijn is busy
> > with back porting currently so large Configure patches aren't a
> > great idea
> > right now]
>

> Yeah, I thought that. I'll probably hang fire on attempting to get it
> into Configure until he's finished that work.

Still in preparation phase, and I can confirm Andy D's fear: this will
be a huge job, but probably worthwhile.

If you get something that works this week, I'll put it in.

--
H.Merijn Brand         Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,