Re: dtrace and Perl (again)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
January 6, 2008 08:57
Re: dtrace and Perl (again)
Message ID:
20080106162814.GO23703@plum.flirble.org
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:16:59PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> For version 0.02 I'm going to have it build a custom interpreter that
> hooks the instrumented runops loop in at startup. So you'll end up
> with a dtperl alongside your regular perl. If that approach works out
> I'm not sure there's any need for dtrace in core. In any event you'd
> probably want to build a custom perl to enable dtrace - and this
> approach is going to give roughly equivalent results /and/ be much
> easier to install.
>
> As ever, thoughts welcome.

It's great that it's possible to "upgrade" an existing perl to be dtrace
enabled.

However, the counter argument is that if it is possible to get the C code that
is currently a speed hit re-implemented in D, then there is no speed hit in
having every perl dtrace enabled. Which seems like a much better thing long
term, as it would mean that any user of Perl on Solaris, FreeBSD, OS X, etc
would be able to use dtrace instrumentation immediately, and on running
processes, even if they don't have the permission to install modules from
CPAN. (Heck, they don't even have to be aware of modules on CPAN)

Nicholas Clark