Re: dtrace and Perl (again)

From:
Andy Armstrong
Date:
January 6, 2008 08:17
Re: dtrace and Perl (again)
Message ID:
34D20026-9BF4-4E9E-A2B9-91F2A40F1F33@hexten.net
On 5 Jan 2008, at 19:10, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> I took Richard Dawe's patch[1] (mentioned in the above post) and
> applied it to blead on Mac OS. It works fine. Actually dtrace seems
> to have changed slightly since Richard produced his patch with the
> result that it's now slightly less involved: you don't have to
> create an extra object file to link against.

I've taken a slight digression (won't somebody *please* think of the
yaks...) and released Devel::DTrace[1] which implements dtrace probes
in a replacement runops loop. It's not perfect - you have to have
loaded the module before dtrace can attach itself - but it'd be useful
in the case of long running Perl processes.

For version 0.02 I'm going to have it build a custom interpreter that
hooks the instrumented runops loop in at startup. So you'll end up
with a dtperl alongside your regular perl. If that approach works out
I'm not sure there's any need for dtrace in core. In any event you'd
probably want to build a custom perl to enable dtrace - and this
approach is going to give roughly equivalent results /and/ be much
easier to install.

As ever, thoughts welcome.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-DTrace/

--