Re: "strict refs" not strict enough

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
January 3, 2008 09:36
Re: "strict refs" not strict enough
Message ID:
20080103173614.GA6416@wall.org
On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 03:25:31PM +0100, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
: * Peter Scott <Peter@PSDT.com> [2007-12-28 15:15]:
: > I see 'refs' as mostly useful for slapping the hand of someone
: > who thinks they need to use the contents of one variable as the
: > name of another.
:
: I don’t: there are plenty of legitimate uses for that. Whenever I
: muck around in the symbol table I wish there was an easier way to
: signal my intent to Perl than `no strict 'refs'`.

Indeed, Perl 6 doesn't even have the concept of "strict refs".  It
merely splits the dereference syntax so it's obvious which one is
intended.  (And dehuffmanizes the symbolic form, since it's less
common, or at least ought to be...)

Larry