Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Abigail
Date:
January 3, 2008 07:27
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
20080103152651.GB27260@abigail.be
On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:50:18AM -0800, Sean O'Rourke wrote:
> I apologize for not addressing your mail more carefully, but I
> don't think extending this thread much more is helpful.
>
> I like the proposal in the other thread: "use 5.12" implies
> strict, "use feature ':5.12'" does not.  That gives everyone a
> default, so hopefully everyone can be satisfied.

I don't.

I think the disadvantages of introducing subtle differences between
'use 5.12' and 'use feature :5.12' outweight the benefit of not having
to type 'use strict'.

Remember, the majority of the Perl programmers don't follow p5p, don't
even know about Perlmonks, clpm or Perl mailinglists.

For many programmers, having to use "use feature ':5.10'" or "use 5.10",
just to get 'say' is going to be black magic, that they just have to do
to get their program working.

Then, in 5.12, we'll get some new cool feature, but then while the magic
"use feature ':5.12'" "works", "use 5.12" is going to break their program,
including the parts that have worked for a decade, just because strict
was turned on, quite unexpectedly.

Abigail