Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Sean O'Rourke
Date:
January 3, 2008 05:53
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
m2sl1ft3vp.fsf@cs.ucsd.edu
I apologize for not addressing your mail more carefully, but I
don't think extending this thread much more is helpful.

I like the proposal in the other thread: "use 5.12" implies
strict, "use feature ':5.12'" does not.  That gives everyone a
default, so hopefully everyone can be satisfied.

/s

PS -- a brief reply on one point:

Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> writes:
> [2] It's interesting to note that the arguments against have
> centered around the apparently authoritarian and stylistic
> nature of the change rather than whether or not it's actually a
> good idea.

Strictures are a good idea in some places, like in larger
programs, and more trouble than they're worth in others, like an
interactive REPL.  (For Matlab users, imagine if it had strict at
the prompt.)

I don't find this all that "interesting," at least not in the
sense you seem to mean here.  Languages that force you to program
in a particular way are crippling: OO may be "good", but Java's
forcing everything to be an object is not.  Functional
programming may be "good", but Haskell's mandatory purity can be
a pain.  Perl, like Lisp, tries to let you program in as many
ways as possible, without forcing you to program in any
particular way.