Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Sean O'Rourke
Date:
December 27, 2007 12:58
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
m2ve6jvpcz.fsf@cs.ucsd.edu
Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> writes:

> * Sean O'Rourke <seano@cs.ucsd.edu> [2007-12-27 17:45]:
>> Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> writes:
>> > It’s more like “if you want to *ALL* of Perl 5.12’s (not
>> > 5.10’s) desirable features, you’re also gonna get this other
>> > feature (strictures) that a large majority of programmers
>> > always want anyway, which you can turn off if you’re not one
>> > of them.”
>> >
>> > Doesn’t sound that authoritarian all of a sudden…
>>
>> Um... yes, it still does: "if you want the latest version,
>> follow the herd."
>
> So where does `no strict` fit into that? So far you haven’t even
> tacitly acknowledged the existence of an opt-out,

What part of "'use I_WANT_FEATURES_OF_LATEST_VERSION' implies
'use strict'" do you not understand?

There's a huge difference between "opt-in" and "opt-out."  If you
don't understand this, I really can't continue this so-called
argument.  If you do, I don't understand why you believe that
smaller programs should have to include more boilerplate
(i.e. "no strict").

/s