Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Tels
Date:
December 27, 2007 10:31
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
200712271909.41086@bloodgate.com
Moin,

On Thursday 27 December 2007 14:35:28 you wrote:
> Tels wrote:
> >> (In case it wasn’t clear, ++ to the proposal.)
> >
> > It get's my vote, too. There rarely is any time I don't want
> > strict, and "no strict;" works for that.
>
> I'm not sure.  Right now, 'no strict; no warnings;' at the top of the
> script implies

I was more thinking of the line of:

* either a no strict in a block (to supress warnings of when code does
need strings-as-references and so on)
* a script with "no strict; no warnings; # THIS IS REALLY OLD CODE AND
SHOULD BE REWRITTEN"

> that not only has the programmer chosen to not use
> strict or warnings, they've chosen to make a point of it.  With
> automatic strict, a reader might come across "use 5.012; no strict;"
> and think that there might be a good reason for it.
>
> Can we throw away that expressivity?

I'd rather have the odd "use 5.012; no strict" script once in a
bluemoon, than every script carrying a "use strict; use warnings;" on
top of it.

But that's just me. :)

Best regards,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu Dec 27 19:07:43 2007 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 How to avoid sex in space: "Just send a married couple, two gays, two
 lesbians, the Pope and Darl McBride on the mission. Since no one loves
 Darl, and the Pope loves everyone but does not have sex, relationships
 are stable." RedLaggedTeut (216304) on /. on 2005-10-22