Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
December 27, 2007 06:29
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
20071227142909.GA564@klangraum
* Sam Vilain <sam@vilain.net> [2007-12-27 14:40]:
> Right now, 'no strict; no warnings;' at the top of the script
> implies that not only has the programmer chosen to not use
> strict or warnings, they've chosen to make a point of it.

No, all it means is that they did something useless. That makes
it seem more likely that they were copypasting or superstitious
than that they meant to take a stand.

> With automatic strict, a reader might come across "use 5.012;
> no strict;" and think that there might be a good reason for it.

If the code runs under strictures as well as it runs without
them, then the same applies as above: turning them *off* was
useless, so as per above I’d be inclined to suspect copypasting
or superstition.

> Can we throw away that expressivity?

Are you speaking hypothetically or have you actually *seen*
anyone use `no strict` at the top of a script where no strictures
were previously enabled? And if you have, do you *know* their
motivation?

Regards,