Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict

From:
Tels
Date:
December 27, 2007 03:32
Re: 5.11 (or 12) and strict
Message ID:
200712271229.51958@bloodgate.com
On Thursday 27 December 2007 11:31:52 Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Sean O'Rourke <seano@cs.ucsd.edu> [2007-12-27 07:40]:
> > That being said, the above quote basically says "if you want to
> > use some desirable feature (like given/when) that is in Perl >
> > 5.10, you must accept this other feature (strictures) P5P deems
> > healthy," which seems strangely authoritarian.
>
> It’s more like “if you want to *ALL* of Perl 5.12’s (not 5.10’s)
> desirable features, you’re also gonna get this other feature
> (strictures) that a large majority of programmers always want
> anyway, which you can turn off if you’re not one of them.”
>
> Doesn’t sound that authoritarian all of a sudden…
>
> (In case it wasn’t clear, ++ to the proposal.)

It get's my vote, too. There rarely is any time I don't want strict,
and "no strict;" works for that.

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu Dec 27 12:29:11 2007 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Get one of my photo posters: http://bloodgate.com/posters

 "Let's say there are a thousand. But there are 284 million people in
 this country. You can't have public policy that is aimed at 100,000
 people when the other multi-multi-millions are also involved. You
 can't do it that way."

  -- Jack Valenty in http://tinyurl.com/2y65n