develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

Perl in LSB 3.2 - RFC

From:
Stew Benedict
Date:
May 30, 2007 14:08
Subject:
Perl in LSB 3.2 - RFC
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.58.0705301621180.5705@norris.e-artisan.org

I've done a little more work on the tests, adding more tests from
lib/{a..z}*.t, as well as hacking in some basic TET support.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/~stewb/lsb-perl/MANIFEST

(I'd still be interested in that TAP<->TET converter)

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LsbPerl

Page has some summary update from the list discussions, and various test
results from several distros, which reveal I've still got a couple of
packaging issues, but overall not too bad.

So,

Does this test subset seem like a reasonable one?

Perl 5.8.8 seems pretty common across the distributions of interest. Short
of writing a formal language spec for perl, is there some middle ground
we can agree on for a "relaxed" specification for LSB, that the perl
community is willing to accept and support? (ISVs seem to really want a
formal language spec).

Something like:

Version: 5.8.8

Interpreter binary (or symlink) exists at /usr/bin/perl

The following functions/operators from core,libs,ext shall be supported
(driven by what's included in the test suite MANIFEST, formatted appropriately).

ISV reference for usage would point to http://perldoc.perl.org/perl.html
(is this a static document, or is there a static location for 5.8.8
specifically?)

Then, at some point in the future, we'd have to look at uplifting the
perl version specified in the LSB spec, and deal with any deprecation
issues.

Does perl have any sort of policy for deprecating features? Supporting
with a warning for some period?

Regards,
--
Stew Benedict