develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

Re: ExtUtils-Install causes POSIX a problem

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
May 25, 2007 10:03
Re: ExtUtils-Install causes POSIX a problem
Message ID:
46571705.7050805@uk.radan.com
demerphq wrote:
> On 4/20/07, Steve Peters <steve@fisharerojo.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 06:07:28PM +0100, Steve Hay wrote:
>> > I've recently noticed that I'm getting the following warning during the
>> > build process when the POSIX extension is reached:
>> >
>> > Can't locate auto/POSIX/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: ..\..\lib
>> > ..\..\lib C:/p5p/bleadperl/lib .) at ..\..\lib/AutoLoader.pm line 160.
>> >
>> > A search through my old smoke log archives shows that the problem first
>> > appeared at patchlevel 28101, and in fact I can reproduce the
>> warning at
>> > that patchlevel but not at 28100 so it is 28101 itself that must be the
>> > culprit:
>> >
>> > Change 28101 by stevep@stevep-kirk on 2006/05/04 20:03:42
>> >
>> >       Upgrade to ExtUtils-Install-1.40
>> >
>> > I haven't looked any further than that yet (and I'm off now until
>> > Monday), but I thought I'd just mention it.
>> >

>> This is just a guess for now, but the following bit....
>>
>> -use Exporter;
>> +use AutoSplit;
>>
>> is the cause.  More on this in a bit.
>
> I guess so, but I don't see how.
>
> All I did was move the use statements to the top of the file, I didnt
> add or change them in any other way.
>
> /me investigates also

We never got to the bottom of this, so I've just had another look and
the attached patch works for me.

The reason that it's gone wrong without that patch is that _mkpath()
calls _can_write_dir(), which calls _have_write_access(), which tries to
load POSIX, which causes the error to be emitted when we're in the
middle of building POSIX.

Yves, are you happy with this or would you rather fix it some other way?