develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

argproc.c license Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution

From:
Craig Berry
Date:
May 24, 2007 10:01
Subject:
argproc.c license Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0705241000n2b3f03cdybe8221012f105393@mail.gmail.com
On 5/23/07, Jonathan Stowe <jns@gellyfish.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 06:49 -0700, mls@suse.de (via RT) wrote:
>
> > The perl-5.8.8 distribution contains vms/vms.c, which in turn contains
> > a section that is licensed under the following terms:
> >
> >   Copyright (C) 1989-1994 by
> >   Mark Pizzolato - INFO COMM, Danville, California  (510) 837-5600
> >
> >   Permission is hereby  granted for the reproduction of this software,
> >   on condition that this copyright notice is included in the reproduction,
> >   and that such reproduction is not for purposes of profit or material
> >   gain.
> >
> >   27-Aug-1994 Modified for inclusion in perl5
> >               by Charles Bailey  bailey@newman.upenn.edu
> >
> > This is not compatible to the GPL or the Artistic License.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is it incompatible, or what exactly are
you trying to do that it prevents you from doing?  To me it sounds
highly similar to the Artistic license.

>> Please try
> > to get the permission from Mark Pizzolato to distribute this code
> > under the perl license.

That's one option.   I'm cc'ing Mark in the vague hope that the
address in the copyright notice is still valid after 12 years and that
he's agreeable and this can be settled easily.  The Perl Artistic
License is here:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlartistic.html

but the GPL can optionally be invoked instead:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlgpl.html

> A cursory search would seem to indicate that there are multiple
> different versions of the original file under apparently different
> terms:
>
>    http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=file%3Aargproc%5C.c
>
> Specifically the version distributed with ctags is already GPL'd.
>
> Would it do to replace the version we have with one of the GPL'd ones
> and then reapply the original changes?

The version in ctags comes from argproc v1.0.  The version in Perl
derives from argproc v2.2.  Presumably the addition of the copyright
is one of the changes after 1.0.