develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution

From:
Michael Schroeder
Date:
May 23, 2007 16:15
Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution
Message ID:
20070523194457.GA7381@suse.de
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:27:18PM +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> A cursory search would seem to indicate that there are multiple
> different versions of the original file under apparently different
> terms:
>
>    http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=file%3Aargproc%5C.c
>
> Specifically the version distributed with ctags is already GPL'd.
>
> Would it do to replace the version we have with one of the GPL'd ones
> and then reapply the original changes?

Sure that would solve the problem for us, because we don't build a
vms binary and GPL allows free redistribution of the source.
But note that the Artistic license is not compatible to the GPL...

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder                                   mls@suse.de