develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2007

Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution

From:
Jonathan Stowe
Date:
May 23, 2007 12:27
Re: [perl #43037] Bad license in perl distribution
Message ID:
1179948438.23880.16.camel@coriolanus.gellyfish.com
On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 06:49 -0700, mls@suse.de (via RT) wrote:

> The perl-5.8.8 distribution contains vms/vms.c, which in turn contains
> a section that is licensed under the following terms:
>
>   Copyright (C) 1989-1994 by
>   Mark Pizzolato - INFO COMM, Danville, California  (510) 837-5600
>
>   Permission is hereby  granted for the reproduction of this software,
>   on condition that this copyright notice is included in the reproduction,
>   and that such reproduction is not for purposes of profit or material
>   gain.
>
>   27-Aug-1994 Modified for inclusion in perl5
>               by Charles Bailey  bailey@newman.upenn.edu
>
> This is not compatible to the GPL or the Artistic License. Please try
> to get the permission from Mark Pizzolato to distribute this code
> under the perl license.

A cursory search would seem to indicate that there are multiple
different versions of the original file under apparently different
terms:

   http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=file%3Aargproc%5C.c

Specifically the version distributed with ctags is already GPL'd.

Would it do to replace the version we have with one of the GPL'd ones
and then reapply the original changes?

/J\