Re: VMS and Win32 Makefiles in change 31059

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 25, 2007 08:58
Re: VMS and Win32 Makefiles in change 31059
Message ID:
20070425103421.GE91654@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:25:55PM +0200, demerphq wrote:

> Im just curious, why is it necessary to go to this extent? Surely the
> only place where the table would differ would be on an EBCDIC machine?
> In which case a script in Porting and a reminder for EBCDIC buillders
> to regenerate as needed would suffice.

Possibly. But I don't have access to EBCDIC, and I know that the generation
code worked. So it seemed a slightly easier way to do it.

And given that quality of paid EBCDIC porters recently, I don't trust them
not to screw up. I was told by a friend that someone he knew quit being a
driving instructor for Public Service Vehicle licenses because he became
despondent about the fall in the standard of driving of the candidates.
He refers to bus drivers as "steering wheel attendants". Certain persons
I'm thinking of might well have been "keyboard attendants"

> I ask mostly because what i describe is precisely how regcharclass.h
> is generated (and it too will have problems on EBCDIC, or rather, it
> doesnt know about EBCDIC, so its likely)

Mmm, good point. Not sure. Really, it's going to need EBCDIC access for
someone clueful with the time and motivation to make sure all these things
work.

Nicholas Clark