Re: [Andreas J. Koenig] C3 MRO breaks Params::Util and Graph

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 24, 2007 15:35
Re: [Andreas J. Koenig] C3 MRO breaks Params::Util and Graph
Message ID:
20070424193638.GC52678@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 05:34:38PM +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> writes:
>
> > Then they are buggy.
> > Not us.
>
> That's true, but doesn't really help.

I realised I was rather terse and bitchy.

> If `perl -v` tells me 'this is perl v5.8.8' people are assuming, and
> with right, that this is a complete 5.8.8 installation. If parts are
> missing from this (vendor) install it will confuse people, and
> possibly make them turn away from using Perl.

But what can we do?

It's not like most vendors appear to be subscribed to this list, feed much
back (although the recent RedHat patches are a most welcome change here)
or contribute in other ways. Too often it seems to be a one way pipe, all
take, no give.

In this case, I think it is still relevant, as we're not proposing to put
the MRO changes into maint.

If vendors do not learn and continue to ship broken perl when they upgrade
their distribution to 5.10, it really remains their fault, and only they
can fix it.

> A very big problem I've encountered a number of years ago, where
> RedHat shipped a Perl 5.7.x + patches as being 5.8.0 on (if I recall
> correctly) RedHat 8.0. Then, on RedHat 9, they shipped a different
> (and incompatible!) Perl 5.7.x + patches again pretending it to be
> 5.8.0.
>
> AFAIK, perlivp does not catch problems like this. Maybe it should?

It did occur to me at some point during the day that making the core test
suite capable of running against an installed perl would be a useful thing
to do. It's a pure perl task, can be done incrementally, and would be a
useful contribution for anyone with some time to spare who wants a practical
way to put back into perl. [Comment not aimed at Johan here]

Nicholas Clark