Perl is a box of chocolates [Was: Re: Smack!]

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
April 20, 2007 10:28
Subject:
Perl is a box of chocolates [Was: Re: Smack!]
Message ID:
5826.1177090051@chthon
>I wouldn't want locale based encoding to be used on my data files,
>because I want data files to be exchangable between hosts and users.

Although that still needs care, like Storable::nstore, pack(N not I), etc.

>> While we're at it, a bit of self-promotion :
>> http://search.cpan.org/~rgarcia/PerlIO-locale-0.03/locale.pm

>Neat!

Indeed.

There really *are* more things on CPAN (and in the Perl world in general)
than can ever fit into any one head, a realization that leads easily to
either despair or delight: ie, "I'll never know everything about Perl"
vs "Perl is a box of chocolates".

I'm constantly pleasantly surprised by all the myriad things I find that
people have written, which thankfully is a far more frequent event than
finding the use encoding glitch (which was semi-new to me, or no more than
a wisp of a memory) or the 128..255 problem (which was anything but).

--tom