Re: POD translation status?

From:
Joergen W. Lang
Date:
April 5, 2007 14:45
Re: POD translation status?
Message ID:
46156DD9.9070905@gmx.de
Oh my,

sorry for being so late in noticing this thread. Originally I intended
to simply have a go at the german translation. Since I am a translator
(Lama and friends en -> de) and I like Perl I thought it made for me.

After talking to Damian at last year's EuroOSCON I got the impression
that it might be a good idea to have a platform for the translation first.

So I started perldoc2. Currently we have a huge SVN repository under:

   https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/perldoc2/

I have collected all the translations I could find and with the help of
a lot a nice people (especially nekral, phaylon et al) and converted
them into gettext-po format for easy translation.

We have come to a point where we started to build a platform around the
data using phaylon's excellent Catalyst knowledge. Due to a lack of time
(and funding) I had to reroute my energy slightly. So things went a
little quiet. I know there are quite a few people out there wanting to
help out (I also thought of involving the .pm groups in a worldwide
Translate-athon at some stage).

But first there should be a solid foundation. A few options for this exist:

* Rosetta (not really an option)
* Pootle (written in Python)
* perldoc2 (in the making)

The biggest problem with the existing systems is that there are not made
for the translation of 'big' strings (aka paragraphs) but for 'messages'
and 'menu items'. Feeding all the stuff I have now into Rosetta would
make the perl documentation the biggest project (data wise) in there...
not taking into account that Rosetta is not FOSS.

So maybe I should load all the things I have into my own Pootle server
so there is at least some kind of repository.

I also have considered going straight for XLIFF so we are more
future-savvy but we need a way back to .pod.

I envision perldoc2 as an umbrella under which several projects can take
shape:

* create a Perl-based translation platform
* work on perldoc (make it truly multilingual)
* do the translations
* build a community of translators, editors, ...

so much work to do...

I would love to put more time into the project. Any help, ideas,
offers... more than welcome.

Joergen