Compress::Zlib, pack "C" and utf-8

From:
Paul Marquess
Date:
April 5, 2007 13:17
Compress::Zlib, pack "C" and utf-8
Message ID:
3F2DD0FCF1E2EA4D974C6195B482FD880315293B@bfs-exch-prd1.myopwv.com
I notice that the use of pack "C" and utf-8 in my Compress::Zlib module
was a spark that ignited a rather long thread on the list. I tried
wading through all the opinions about what the best approach was to deal
with the issue, but I lost the will to live after 20 minutes reading
them.

So, at the risk of igniting another really long thread, has a consensus
view appeared about what to do with pack "C" and utf-8?

Paul