apology

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
April 1, 2007 17:39
Subject:
apology
Message ID:
aa5b09f00704011739q498d831em5127e4f8a55a3d1c@mail.gmail.com
After having read more carefully what Marc was saying (and Marc
carefully explaining it to me privately) I think I owe Marc an
apology.  He was actually agreeing with me, just pointing out some
problems with the current implementation (*).  I have a sad history
with Marc in that we always seem to talk past each other, and I admit
to a personal fault of for some reason always becoming awfully hot and
bothered at whatever Marc is speaking of.  My apologies, Marc.  Never
mind the old cranky man, hard of hearing, living at the attic and
stomping the floor with his cane.

(*) I might be wrong on this, but are the pack C "misfeatures" being
discussed at least partially something introduced since the 5.8
series?  (If so, I *really* don't know what is being discussed...)
Some messages in this thread seem to suggest so.  All I can remember
is that (un)pack C was an awfully ugly wart I would have gladly
excised since it punctures into the internal encoding that should be
of no interest to the user any more than the exact bit patterns of
floating point numbers should be.  The U format had a little bit more
of saving grace to it, but it too provided no useful functionality
that could not have been done somehow else.