develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

5.10, was Re: the utf8 flag

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
March 31, 2007 00:10
Subject:
5.10, was Re: the utf8 flag
Message ID:
b77c1dce0703310010h1dfaa83uaacf0910826eb54e@mail.gmail.com
On 30/03/07, Juerd Waalboer <juerd@convolution.nl> wrote:
> >       use warnings 'upgrade';
>
> This already exists on CPAN, authored by Audrey Tang, as
> encoding::warnings:
>
>     use encoding::warnings;
>
> But it will warn when Perl upgrades latin1 to utf-8, without knowing if
> that is a bug or a feature, because it doesn't know if the "latin1"
> string was meant as a text string or a byte string.

Actually it's in the core, and lexical now.

The meanings of pack C and U and their combinations have been changed
years ago, by Ton Hospel, after lots of discussion. I'm not tempted to
change them now, especially since I consider all changes from now on
and until 5.10.0 to be last minute changes. Likewise for other
semantic problems that might occur (UNIVERSAL::DOES() comes to mind.)
Some prudence is in order, because I'm not confident in my own
intelligence to find and implement a perfect solution now, and because
at some point we need to stop patching and release.

I'd like to call for a roundup of all open issues with blead.

Also, the idea of modifying the typemap for char* might be a good one.
However it needs carefulness and testing. I'm pretty sure it will
break things -- esp. unnoticed breakage since I don't think that many
XS module authors include unicode data in their test suites.