develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

Re: the utf8 flag

From:
Juerd Waalboer
Date:
March 30, 2007 17:48
Re: the utf8 flag
Message ID:
20070331004805.GM31277@c4.convolution.nl
Marc Lehmann skribis 2007-03-31  2:11 (+0200):
> Juerds goal of having the UTF-X flag exposed

I urge you, strongly, to stop spreading misinformation about my supposed
goals, beliefs, and dreams. You misinterpret a lot of what I say,
including this.

I have said nor implied that the UTF-8 flag should exposed. It can be
useful to access it sometimes, but it should never be necessary.

The UTF8 flag *is* exposed, but any mention of it in Perl code is a red
flag and must be carefully considered.

To quote myself from several sources:

perlunitut;
> (there is nothing about the UTF8 flag in perlunitut!)

perlunifaq:

perluniadvice: (http://juerd.nl/site.plp/perluniadvice)

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=571906
--