develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

Re: Change #30769 breaks Tk 804.027

From:
Slaven Rezic
Date:
March 30, 2007 12:23
Re: Change #30769 breaks Tk 804.027
Message ID:
87zm5u358l.fsf@biokovo.herceg.de
"Jerry D. Hedden" <jdhedden@yahoo.com> writes:

> Slaven Rezic wrote:
> > FYI: the changes in the (internal?) regexp structure, done
> > in #30769, cause Tk804.027 and Tk804.027_500 to not
> > compile anymore. However I patched Tk, so it compiles
> > again. The patch is in the subversion repository
> > https://svn.perl.org/modules/Tk/trunk
>
> I'm confused.  Is this a report that the patch broke
> something that shouldn't have been changed, or that the Tk
> module was relying on some undocumented 'feature' that the
> patch changed and hence 'corrected' in some way?

Maybe and yes.

> Does this highlight some sort of test that should be added
> to the test suite?

I just found that the regexp structure is documented in
perlreguts.pod, which exists since perl5.9.x. As Tk is peeking at the
internals since the beginning of its days (I guess), it's now punished
for using a (then) undocumented feature. So at least the regexp
structure change should be also reflected in perlreguts.pod, or the
change retracted as there is the possibility that other modules are
also using this structure.

Regards,
        Slaven

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de

    tkrevdiff - graphical display of diffs between revisions (RCS, CVS or SVN)
    http://ptktools.sourceforge.net/#tkrevdiff