develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

Working on punie + rindolf (the implementation) Reloaded

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
March 30, 2007 11:32
Subject:
Working on punie + rindolf (the implementation) Reloaded
Message ID:
200703302132.28473.shlomif@iglu.org.il
Hi Allison!

I've been thinking that after the death of PONIE, I'll try to bring perl 5 to
Parrot from a different approach. Why not write a Perl 5 front end that will
compile Perl 5 code to Parrot (or other languages)? I could use PPI or a
different Perl 5 parser to facilitate doing it, etc., and naturally writing a
compiler in Perl 5 is much easier than in C.

And we'll also get C-hosting and self-hosting with that.

I'd like to call it "rindolf" (with a lowercase "r") after
http://www.shlomifish.org/rindolf/ , where rindolf 1.0 will implement Perl
5.8.x completely. When and after we're done implementing all the perl5's (the
implementation) features, we'll perhaps extend the language with more
functionality, either derived from Perl 6 or as dimmed appropriate for "the
language once known as Perl 5".

What I want to ask is about punie - is this a good basis? I know Perl 5 is
still mostly backwards-compatible with Perl 1, so I might be able to make use
of punie. But I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Secondly, should I use svk (which I'm still finding a bit confusing) or can I
have a commit access to the Parrot svn repository?

All of this is subject to:

Rule of Open-Source Programming #11:

When a developer says he will work on something, he or she means
"maybe".

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il