develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

Re: object_compatibility

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
March 26, 2007 04:24
Re: object_compatibility
Message ID:
C22CBCAC.4076E%gsar@sophos.com
On 3/23/07 1:22 PM, "Nicholas Clark" <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> I found this in perl.h
>
> struct interpreter {
> #  include "thrdvar.h"
> #  include "intrpvar.h"
> /*
>  * The following is a buffer where new variables must
>  * be defined to maintain binary compatibility with previous versions
>  */
> PERLVARA(object_compatibility,30, char)
> };
>

> That was last changed in revision 4602, by Sarathy:
>
> Change 4602 by gsar@saw on 1999/12/01 01:00:09
>
>         more complete pseudo-fork() support for Windows
>
> http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/p/4602
>

> which is pre 5.6.0
>
> As it hasn't been changed since, and there doesn't seem to be an issue with
> reserved space on the end of the perl interpreter object, is it sensible to
> drop it?

My memory is probably going, if not gone already, but judging
by the name, it is likely a hangover from the PERL_OBJECT
code from 5.005.  I don't think structural equivalence of the
interpreter has been needed since we introduced the accessor
functions and the corresponding PL_foo macros for all the
interpreter structure members in 5.6.0.  I'm of course assuming
that none of the structure members are being accessed directly
outside the perl sources.

Sarathy