develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

RE: POD translation status?

From:
vkonovalov
Date:
March 9, 2007 11:55
RE: POD translation status?
Message ID:
E3FB32585BF1D411B9E900805FF51A080222A885@ru0022exch001u.ru.lucent.com> <vkonovalov@alcatel-lucent.com
> is there anyone out there translating the Perl (core) PODs to other
> languages? What's the status on these translations if they
> exist? Or does
> somebody plan to?

for the curious, in perl-5.8.8 just 'pod' directory there are some 102 POD files, having word count equal to 672,608.
This means 2690 conditional pages for translation, and, when translating to Russian, if translator do his work on individual basis this will cost $10760 (counting $4 per page; translator agency will take $10 or even $15 in this case)

I wonder why http://perldoc.ru is under construction right now?

I saw some outdated translated PODs to Russian, but I can't find them right now.

By this I owe a great respect to the huge localized software like KDE or GNOME etc.

Just two kopikats.

Best regards,
Vadim.