develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

Re: Building blead on SuSE 64 bit

From:
Tels
Date:
March 6, 2007 09:54
Re: Building blead on SuSE 64 bit
Message ID:
200703061842.30634@bloodgate.com

Moin,

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 14:56:38 H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:53:22 +0100, Tels <nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com>
wrote:

> > Moin,
> >
> > all my attempts to build Perl fail under 64 bit, because miniperl isn't
> > even able to do a simple "use strict". So today I attempted to build a
> > Perl with -g to debug this issue. And lo and behold, some totally
> > different error pops up:
> >
> > 	# sh Configure -des -Dusedevel -Doptimize='-g'
> > 	[snip]
> > 	# make
>
> Did all your attempts include
>
> # sh ./Configure -Dusedevel -Duse64bitall -DEBUGGING=-g -des
>
> ?
> just out of curiousity

No, this was just the last attempt.

However, it seems my system is slightly busted, while I can compile and use
the NVIDIA driver, I can f.i. not:

* compile Devel::Size (an XS module) - it computes wrong information
compared to the one I have installed. (one ptr is 0 even tho this should
never happen).

  I have not been able to debug the difference between the two object files,
  since IDA pro demo version can only load 32bit files (oh great).

* cannot compile any Perl version at all (all fail similiar with nonsense
errors in miniperl)

* cannot compile gcc 4.1.2 (the latest), it aborts with some internal error

I highly suspect that my installed glib (or something) doesn't match the
also installed header files, or something.

Unfortunately, I am not really an expert in linux systems (mere user), and I
haven't been able to find out what is really wrong.

And I cannot just re-install this system here, as it is my only PC.

all the best,

tels

- --
 Signed on Tue Mar  6 18:38:56 2007 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Get one of my photo posters: http://bloodgate.com/posters

 "We're looking at a future where only the very largest companies will be
 able to implement software, and it will technically be illegal for other
 people to do so."

  -- Bruce Perens, 2004-01-23