develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2007

utf8.pm and the utf8 namespace

From:
Juerd Waalboer
Date:
March 4, 2007 06:04
Subject:
utf8.pm and the utf8 namespace
Message ID:
20070304140322.GL4723@c4.convolution.nl
Hi,

utf8.pm's POD first says that you don't have to load the module in order
to use its functions. It even has in B<bold> letters that you should
only use the pragma if your source is in UTF-8.

But later, it says:

> Note that in the Perl 5.8.0 and 5.8.1 implementation the functions
> utf8::is_utf8, utf8::valid, utf8::encode, utf8::decode, utf8::upgrade,
> and utf8::downgrade are always available, without a C<require utf8>
> statement-- this may change in future releases.

May this really change in future releases? That'll break a lot of code
that actually followed the instructions in the very same document.

I think this "this may change" should be removed, and that the functions
should stay available in future releases.

Regards,
--
korajn salutojn,

  juerd waalboer:  perl hacker  <juerd@juerd.nl>  <http://juerd.nl/sig>