Front page | perl.perl5.porters |
Postings from March 2007
From: Juerd Waalboer
March 3, 2007 15:45
Message ID: 20070303234411.GC4723@c4.convolution.nl
Again re unicode documentation,
"use encoding" causes a lot of confusion, because of some severe
caveats, and I always advise people to avoid using it
However, many PODs refer to it. I think that's a huge problem.
* encoding.pm assumes that the environment of the programmer, equals
that of the end user: STDIO and source code use the same encoding.
* encoding.pm alters interpretation of \x: it makes it hard
(impossible?) to use a character that is in latin1, but not in the
* encoding.pm makes every string literal internally UTF8 encoded, which
means that $jpeg_image_data."" upgrades $jpeg_image_data, assuming it
was latin1 before.
I see several possible solutions.
* encoding.pm is fixed (can this be done? Who can do this?)
* encoding.pm is documented as broken, or at least gets even more
In both cases, I think it would help if we removed a lot of references
to encoding.pm; it's currently just too dangerous. Let it stay there for
compatibility/historic reasons, but try to avoid that new users start
But before I do something huge like remove all (almost all) references
to encoding.pm from other pods, I'd like to know if there's any plan for
juerd waalboer: perl hacker <email@example.com> <http://juerd.nl/sig>
convolution: ict solutions and consultancy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Ik vertrouw stemcomputers niet.
by Juerd Waalboer