develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2007

Re: Re: Future Perl development

From:
Abigail
Date:
February 28, 2007 06:01
Re: Re: Future Perl development
Message ID:
20070228140104.GB460@abigail.nl
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 01:30:47PM +0100, renee.baecker@smart-websolutions.de wrote:

> Some ideas about a fictive Perl-PR-platform:

[ SNIP ]

I've said this before, and I say so again:

*) Don't wait five years between major releases.

Perl is used a lot in companies without the company being a "Perl shop".
It's there between the big application and the mailer, it rolls out
applications, it dumps the databases and it will page someone if the
printer is out of paper. It's brought to the company by the sysadmins
and the engineers whose job it is to keep things rolling. Most of them
have lives and don't keep up what's happening in the Perl community.

But they do keep track of releases of the tools they use.

And they do notice that the last major release of Perl was a long time ago.

And draw their (wrong) conclusions.

For PR reasons, it would have been better if 5.10 was released three
years ago (with whatever features then available), and that is now going
to be 5.10 would be 5.12 (or 5.14).

Abigail