develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2007

Re: New release ?

From:
Tels
Date:
January 16, 2007 10:04
Re: New release ?
Message ID:
200701161907.06563@bloodgate.com

Moin,

><rgarciasuarez@gmail.com> said:
>
>  > - CPAN module breakages to fix core-side ?
>
>Just for the record, I currently know of only two major bleading
>problem-modules: Math::Pari and Term::ReadLine::Gnu.
>
>Aprt from those there is a certain acceptance problem for the side
>effects that the introduction of ExtUtils::Constant::ProxySubs in
>patch 26453 brings with it.

It's not an "acceptance problem" but a bug that needs to be either fixed in
blead, or the coverage modules :)

>TELS/graph/Graph-Easy-0.51.tar.gz (author CC'd) illustrates this. The
>Pod::Coverage test fails now:

Either I didn't get this email (maybe the cpan alias is buggy, stopped
working or whatever), or I forgot I got it :) I know we already talked
about this, but I don't remember this specific email. Just found it by
browsing the p5p web archive :)

Anyway, back to the topic. The problem at hand is that:

* Module Foo defined and exports a constant
* Module Bar imports that constant
* Pod::Coverage et. al. cannot distinguish between an imported constant,
  and one defined in the module Bar itself.

Thus coverage of Bar fails.

The workaround (to skip the constants in the test for Bar) is not
acceptable, because that means either skip all (so the test becomes
meaningsless), or live with breakage from now and then, because maintaining
two sets of constants (one in the code importing it, and one in the
testfile testing for them) get out of sync.

This case is not restricted to Graph::Easy, any module importing constants
can be hit by this - it is just most modules don't even have coverage tests
yet - or they import constants that are real subroutines and not just "use
constant".

Best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Tue Jan 16 19:02:13 2007 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower."