develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2007

Re: New release ?

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 12, 2007 10:55
Re: New release ?
Message ID:
9b18b3110701121055p77a2320bjf0f244a476e990f3@mail.gmail.com
On 1/9/07, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/07, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/5/07, Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to make a list of what needs to be sorted out before a new
> > > development release: (5.9.5, which should be feature-equal to 5.10.0)
> > >
> > [...]
> > > - more regexp work ? (Yves)

> To follow up on this I believe there are the following regex related
> issues that should be resolved before we release perl 5.10
>
> 1. Stringification of regexes currently assumes that all patterns can
> be wrapped in (?ms-ix:) type containers when concatenated. This needs
> to be changed to be an operation performed by the engine.

After more analysis and comments from Dave about what will happen in
5.11/5.12 I think these can be forgotten. Plug in engines will just
have to grok (?k-xism) and things like that.

> 2. The stringified form is stored in magic structures and not the
> regexp structure itself.....

I have a patch for this of sorts, its a little hacky though and maybe
not worth it in light of the new status of point 1.

> 3. The modifiers are hard coded into toke.c, IMO parsing of modifiers
> should be handled by the regex engine.

This can wait until 5.11 I think.

> 4. The offsets code is now somewhat broken.....
> 5. Id like to make $REGERROR and $REGMARK into magic vars.....

I have done nothing on either of these yet. Id really like to see them
both resolved before 5.10

> 6. I have a patch in working on right now to add \v and \V .....

Done and applied.

> 7. Related to point 3 is that i'd really like to get a new modifier /k

Done and submitted.

Which means I guess that all is left for me is:

> 4. The offsets code is now somewhat broken.....
> 5. Id like to make $REGERROR and $REGMARK into magic vars.....

:-)

Well, assuming 7 doesnt need further work.

cheers,
Yves