develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2007

Re: New release ?

From:
John Peacock
Date:
January 8, 2007 06:22
Re: New release ?
Message ID:
45A25392.6050801@rowman.com
kane@xs4all.nl wrote:
> That sounds like a great solution to me. If it wouldn't be too hard to
> implement, I'd like to see this in the next version.pm release :)

Probably tonight; I have two failures that my recent posting flushed out
that I need to investigate, but I've already removed Scalar::Util entirely.

> Well, there's a few good bits of news here. From what i see from the
> code, you only care if the object is a hash ref with an array ref in a
> certain slot. You could verify this as such:

Yeah, I figure that out on my very own! ;-)  FWIW, I combined the "test
for a HASHREF" with the "test if this key exists" using an eval for the
same effect.

> It's a bit of a hackish way of determining C-support, and the
> non-standard options it accepts (well, what's standard anyway?). This is
> probably the least important bit tbh, and I'm probably being overly
> sensitive.

AFAICT, there are /only/ hackish ways to determine whether there is an
available C-compiler.  I stole that code from several other projects'
Makefile's (and only threw in that stupid MSVC test after receiving bug
reports).  If you can provide a better cross-platform test for a C
compiler (especially if it can determine whether this was the same C
compiler used to build Perl itself, since that can make a difference
sometimes), please do all of us a favor and release it on CPAN.  This is
such a commonly reinvented bit of cruft that it would be a pleasure to
depend on an external module for that magic... ;-)

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group